This savory baked bread dish is sure to please everyone. A quick and easy vegetarian dish suitable for all.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
9 slices Schär Artisan Baker 10 Grains & Seeds Bread, cubed into bite-sized pieces
2.5 ounces spinach, roughly chopped (about 2 large handfuls)
5 crimini mushrooms, de-stemmed and chopped
1 medium Roma tomato, chopped
2 green onions, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of crushed red chili flakes (optional)
3¼ cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken stock
2 large eggs
½ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Grease a 10 x 14-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking oil. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add the bread cubes to the prepared baking dish. Scatter the spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes and green onions on top.
- With clean hands toss gently to mix well and incorporate all the ingredients.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and a bit of crushed red chili flakes, if using.
- In a measuring jug, combine the stock and eggs and whisk until the eggs are beaten.
- Pour this mixture over top and pat down with a spoon to ensure all bread is covered and soaking up the liquid.
- Let stand for 20 minutes so all the bread can absorb the liquid slightly.
- Bake at 375 degrees F uncovered for 30 minutes, then take out of oven and sprinkle the cheese generously over top.
- Place back in the oven uncovered and cook for 15 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the cheese is melted and gooey. Serve either warm or cool.
Calories: 326, Carbohydrates: 35g, Protein: 17g, Fat: 12g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 109mg, Sodium: 454mg, Fiber: 6g