The air is cooling here in Oklahoma and all I dream about are warm, comfort foods. Does that happen to anyone else? Literally, when fall arrives, I could spend my days between the kitchen and the outdoors, it’s just so beautiful.
That’s exactly what happened this past weekend; I decided that we were going to have a helping of Creamy Chicken Noodles served with homemade mashed potatoes.
The tricky part though being that it needed to be gluten-free. Now, this may make the traditional Creamy Chicken Noodles recipe a bit more time consuming because being gluten-free you will need to make your own egg noodles, but it’s completely worth it.
It turns out so delicious and these noodles are great to use in a variety of meals including my Gluten Free Chicken & Noodle Soup.
My not gluten-free eaters even loved this meal, that’s always a bonus in our home. The thing to remember is that you may need to add a bit of gluten-free all-purpose flour to help thicken this depending on the cream soup that you use.
I decided to use a canned Gluten-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup, it tends to be a bit more runny than a gluten-filled version, so I added about a 1/4 cup of gluten-free all-purpose flour to help thicken it up a bit. It turned out beautifully and tasted scrumptious!
I love to mix our Creamy Chicken Noodles with mashed potatoes; it’s almost like eating mashed potatoes and gravy. This is definitely a traditional country meal and one that my husband grew up on.
I’m positive his grandma likely made her own egg noodles too. I have to say, although it takes a bit longer doing homemade egg noodles, but it’s just such a calming process. I’m sure that may make me a bit crazy but something about making my own noodles just puts me in a good mood.
Now, it’s time to cozy up by the fire and enjoy a plate of Creamy Chicken Noodles, we all know you’ve been craving them!
For the Noodles:
1 cup all-purpose gluten free flour, plus more for rolling dough
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cooked shredded chicken
2 cans gluten free cream of mushroom soup
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose gluten free flour, optional
To Make the Noodles:
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl, then make a well in the center and add in the eggs.
- Using a fork combine the eggs into the flour mixture until slightly sticky.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface, adding in more flour if necessary and knead for about 5 minutes, forming into a ball.
- Cover the dough ball with plastic wrap and place this in the fridge for at least 15 minutes, but up to 24 hours.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll out until about 1/4″ thick, then cut them to the width you prefer.
- Continue to add more flour if needed to avoid sticking and cut them. Place each noodle on a plate or in a pan.
- Let them sit uncovered for 1 hour until they have dried out.
To make the Creamy Chicken:
- Once the noodles are done, add the noodles, chicken, cream of mushroom soup, and butter to a large stockpot or French oven.
- Cover and let them warm up to a low boil.
- At this point, if the soup you used is more of a runny consistency, carefully whisk in the flour to thicken it, and then let this boil for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve as is, or over mashed potatoes.